Aloe vera

Facts about aloe vera

We found 18 facts about aloe vera

True aloe

Aloe vera is one of the most popular house plants, cherished for the simplicity of its cultivation. Originally growing in the Arabian Peninsula, it has been naturalized around the world over the years. It has been used in cosmetology since antiquity, when even Cleopatra favored its ability to soften skin and moisturize it.
Aloe vera
It is a succulent species of the genus Aloe.
The genus contains over 560 species, of which aloe vera is the most commonly known.
It originates from the Arabian Peninsula.
It has been naturalized in various regions around the world over time and nowadays is cultivated worldwide.
The plant reaches up to 100 centimeters in length.
Its leaves are green, thick, and fleshy, with small spikes on the edges.
The inner part of a leaf is made of gel and the middle layer of latex.
It is among the most popular plants grown in home gardens as ornamental plants.
The gel found in the leaves is used for various health and cosmetic purposes.
Aloe vera is commonly used as a topical medication to ease skin irritation. It also increases the hydration of the skin.
It has cooling properties similar to menthol.
It can be effectively used to ease pain from any kind of burn.
Studies show that it has anti-plaque properties.
Used as a mouthwash, it can improve dental health and ease gum inflammation.
It helps with blood pressure.
Some research state it can reduce blood sugar, helping with the treatment of Type 2 diabetes.
Because of its antibacterial properties, it is recommended for treating skin with acne problems.
Raw aloe vera has a bitter taste.
Although it is safe for oral ingestion, consuming increased amounts of aloe vera may cause diarrhea and stomach ache.
Systematic use of aloe vera gel on the skin can slightly reduce the visibility of wrinkles.
Aloe vera gel consists of 99% water and the remaining 1% is made of approximately 75 active constituents.
There are various vitamins, such as beta-carotene, vitamins B12, C, and E, amino acids, lipids, soluble fibers, and sterols.
Aloe vera was among the most favored substances used by Cleopatra.
She used its gel in her daily beauty routine to soften her skin.
It is widely consumed in Japan.
The Japanese add aloe vera to their yogurts and drink aloe vera water. They believe it is crucial in preserving a youthful look.
In Mexico and Peru, aloe vera is made into jams.
Aloe vera was referred to by ancient Egyptians as the plant of immortality.
It was because of its ability to bloom in harsh conditions and without soil.
Hungry for more facts?

Latest topics

42 facts about Kyshtym disaster
42 facts about Kyshtym disaster
The first nuclear accident in Earth's history
Before information about it saw the light of day, the Soviets hid it for over 30 years. The explosion at the Mayak combine was the first nuclear accid ...
37 facts about Saint Petersburg
37 facts about Saint Petersburg
A city of many names
It was a dream and a matter of prestige for the Romanov dynasty to gain access to the Baltic Sea and build a metropolis to testify to Russia's emergin ...
32 facts about Peter the Great
32 facts about Peter the Great
The first Emperor of all Russia
Peter the Great is considered one of Russia's greatest rulers. He was a great reformer, strategist, and builder who was the first of the tsars to trav ...
39 facts about Dyatlov Pass incident
39 facts about Dyatlov Pass incident
Mysterious tragedy in the Ural mountains
The case of a group of students at the Ural Polytechnical Institute in Sverdlovsk continues to arouse great interest and raise many questions. A group ...
11 facts about Brooklyn Bridge
11 facts about Brooklyn Bridge
The first steel suspension bridge in the world
It is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the world. It connects Brooklyn with Manhattan, runs over the East River, and was completed in 1883. ...
31 facts about Brazil
31 facts about Brazil
South America's largest country
Brazil is the largest and most populous country in South America and one of the largest and most populous countries in the world. A former Portuguese ...
44 facts about Ghent
44 facts about Ghent
City of three towers
Ghent is one of Belgium's most visited cities by tourists. This beautiful old Flanders city combines dignity, beauty, culture, and creativity. It is a ...
31 facts about Thailand
31 facts about Thailand
A country on the Indochinese Peninsula
Thailand is an Asian country located in its south-eastern part, famous for its interesting culture and religious architecture. This exotic country, wh ...

Similar topics